Monday, October 26, 2009

Mother's Gift

This evening seven years ago, my mother died. In some ways it feels like yesterday and in some ways it feels like a long, long time ago. I miss her terribly. She left a hole in my soul that cannot be filled by anyone else.

She was strict and loving and the perfect mother when we were young. Creating Halloween costumes, and birthday party games, and slumber party treats and expecting polite, compassionate, loving children. I'm sure there were times we disappointed but I hope those times were few. She took care of us when we were sick and rejoiced with us when we were happy.

She was petite and a sharp dresser. She laughed easily and had a quick wit. Everyone loved her.

The best gift she gave me was a set of tapes (yes, cassette tapes) of her and her older sister talking about their lives. The stories are fascinating but it's the sound of her voice I hunger for. When I hear that voice, I feel comforted and happy.

Today is a melancholy day. Bittersweet. But it will pass and life will go on but the legacy my mother left behind will always be in my heart.

4 comments:

  1. I would've loved to have met your mom! She sounds like she was creative, happy and wanted nothing more than happiness for her loved ones. The cassettes have got to be priceless for you. Can you put them on cd so that when they get old, they will last?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Simone-

    I will look into th CD conversion.

    You would have loved my mom. I wish you could have met her too.

    Her biggest frustration was when we were older and our hurts were not fixed by a bandaid or kissing it to make it better. She felt helpless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a wonderful tribute to your mom -- thanks for sharing it with us!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Suz,
    You are cherishing your mom's memory beautifully. How wonderful that you have those casette tapes to listen to. What a treasure.

    ReplyDelete