Friday, October 2, 2009

Exercise? Healthy? Hmmmm!

Yesterday I had my first session at Curves, an exercise place I joined a few days ago. I knew I was in bad shape but going through the machines just brought it out. I am not heavy, most people think I am thin, but looks can be deceiving. Just because I am slim does not mean I am in good shape.

I worked my way around the circuit with the encouragement of a girl who looked to me to still be in High School. She smiled and pushed and explained and was generally cheerful. Some of the exercises, expecially the ones that required some amount of upper body strength, I failed at miserably. One required me to put my arm behind a couple of pads at shoulder height and then push the pads together in front of me. For a moment I thought the machine was stuck as I could not move. Then I realized that it was just my weak muscles that were stuck. How embarrassing.

In High School, I had been a "jock." I had played field hockey, basketball and volleyball and lettered in all. But I am 40+ years past High School and my muscles know even if I am in denial. (Denial is such a wonderful, safe place to be!)

So wish me luck with my exercise program. I will keep you posted on my progress.

1 comment:

  1. I do wish you the best of luck. Maybe I'll check into that as well.

    ReplyDelete