Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Mental Illness

I have a very sweet, young friend who has a mental condition called Bi-polar disease. It is a troubling thing. She chooses not to take her medication which, I am told, is common among those with the disorder. She doesn't like the way it makes her feel or, actually, the way it makes her not feel.

She struggles against unseen demons, she is one day cheerful and full of life and the next day, dark and angry and upset. I am helpless. I am sad. I wish I knew what to do.

She is creative and beautiful and has had to deal with many things in her young life that most people could not dream of. I don't know if this is what caused her brain to deal with reality differently than mine does. I don't know. I wish I did.

If this were a physical illness, I would be better equipped. I could put on a band aid, or make chicken soup, or offer an aspirin but none of these things will relieve her suffering.

My problems seem to be dwarfed by what she is going through. I pray for her and trust that God will intervene. I don't know what else to do.

Please God, help her and bring her peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment