Sunday, October 4, 2009

Shut ma' mouth!

I listened to a devotional by Patsy Clairmont a couple of days ago that really struck home.

She quoted Psalms.."may the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable to you oh Lord..."

My mouth gets me in trouble all the time. I don't know why I can't control it sometimes but I can't. Many of my utterances are definitely NOT acceptable to God or to the person to whom I am speaking.

I let my temper or my frustration or whatever, allow me to utter words that are rude, hurtful, sarcastic or thoughtless. I always regret it afterwards but that does not help.

My self-editor malfunctions and I hear myself say things that I can't take back.

I apologize and am truly sorry but it does not erase the initial cut. I don't want to have to apologize so often. It's embarrassing and annoying and after a while people get tired of the apologies.

Please God, help me control my tongue and make my words acceptable to you and to others.

1 comment:

  1. I remember hearing a message once about a verse in the Bible which, when paraphrased says: "Lord, put a trap door over my mouth." I don't remember anything else about that message. Just that phrase. In the years since I first heard it, that phrase has become a prayer to me. One that I find He is quick to answer.

    ReplyDelete