Monday, February 14, 2011

Are You the One?

As part of the Hear it on Sunday group, this is my first post.

Sunday we had a guest speaker. He talked about the event where John the Baptist's disciples went to Jesus and asked (at John's request), "Are you the one, or should we look for someone else?"

I have always been amazed that John the Baptist would doubt that Jesus was "the One." But he apparently was expecting Jesus to organize a great army to defeat their enemies and free the Jews. That was not happening so he wondered if there was someone else they should be looking for who was going to do that.

The speaker turned the message around and asked if, when Jesus calls on us, does he have to ask "Are you the one or should I look for someone else?" That really hit me hard. I know there have been times that I sounded like Moses with all my excuses. God probably has been frustrated with me. Actually, more than probably. Most certainly.

So today, I am trying to be open to his call and direction and not have Him wondering if he needs to look elsewhere.

7 comments:

  1. What a great way to look at that question. I think my response to, "Are you the one?" is always something like, "Who? ME?" But the thing about God is that he doesn't turn and walk away. He keeps looking at me and keeps asking until, like Moses and Jonah and so many others (eventually) I get it and say, "Yeah...I guess maybe I am."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read a fascinating perspective on this passage of scripture in the book, "The Prisoner in the Third Cell." And it makes this story really come alive for me. John the Baptist, the forerunner, the cousin of Christ, the one about whom Jesus said, "among those born of women there is no one greater than John," JOHN doubted. He was arrested, thrown into a hideous pit, and left there to die or be executed. Where was His Lord? Why were there miracles for others, but not him? Where was the kingdom the scriptures had promised? It was John's dark night of the soul. His moment of truth. And Jesus recognized this, with such deep deep compassion, when John sent the disciples to ask that fateful question. Hence his answer, "Blessed is the man who does not fall away ON ACCOUNT OF ME." Jesus knows. He KNOWS there will be times when we won't understand why He does what He does. And I believe it grieves Him to withhold His hand, just as it must have grieved Him to leave His beloved cousin, His faithful witness, to suffer and die. So He left us this account, so we can know we are not alone in those dark nights of the soul. And so we can hang on to Him, even though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the way Robin turned that message around for us. It was a good question, and it stayed with me. And then, toward the end of the day, it turned itself around to be, "You are the one." And that was even more of a challenge than just having the question asked, because now that that question is answered, I'll have to respond...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you linked-up with Michelle today! I love the tag line under your header. You captured exactly how I feel!

    What a great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked this. I can see myself thinking just like you. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Susan,

    I like your "spin" on this, if you know what I mean. So often I, too, am like Moses, trying to get out of what God has planned for me. Sometimes it takes courage, and faith, to say with conviction, "Yes! I am the one!"

    Thanks so much for linking up yesterday...I'm sorry the links went down and seem not to have reappeared. The Linky Guy said he is having server troubles...of course, on the day my community launches -- I have such good luck!

    Hopefully it will be back up soon...and in time for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooo ... That question -- turned in on the self -- is going to stick with me a while.

    What a thoughtful post, Suz!

    ReplyDelete