Sunday, January 8, 2012

Who Am I?

I go to a very culturally diverse church. We have Chinese, Karen (pronounced Car-in), African-American, Japanese, Russian, Indian, Sudanese, Spanish and White.

A group of us have taken a test to see how culturally sensitive we are with the goal of functioning better in the congregation. After the test results were in, we were asked to write our "Identity Story." Who am I and what or who shaped me into who I am?

Understanding who we are will help us to understand others. To interact properly with other cultures, we need to know our own identities.

Now I am embarking on the journey of discovering who I am and putting it down on paper. It's not as easy as it sounds. I am a past middle-aged, Irish-German-English white Christian woman who grew up in New York. You would think that was all there was to it, but it's not. What is my culture? Do I have a culture? How does my culture define me?

Have you ever explored who you are and what your culture is? I think it will be a most interesting exercise and I am excited to get started.

When I figure it out, I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment