Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I SEE YOU

"I see you." That was a phrase used in the movie "Avatar" that really hit home with me.

How many times do we talk to someone and not really see them? Often, in our busy lives, we don't see people. We don't want to see people. It's messy. It doesn't fit into our schedules. It costs us too much emotionally.

People need to be seen. I have been feeling very invisible lately.

People see me as self-sufficient, efficient, organized and a person who gets things done. They don't see that I am hurting, hungry for friends, unhappy. They see what they want to see.

They see what I can do for them but never ask what they can do for me and really mean it.

It hurts. I am not supposed to need anything, I guess. I am supposed to be always cheerful, always in control. But I am not and no one sees that.

But, as my husband pointed out and a card from a friend pointed out, God sees me. He knows what I need and how I feel.

Without it sounding like blasphemy, sometimes that's not enough. I need a real flesh and blood person to talk to, to hug me, to allow me to cry, to really see me as the human being I am with all my imperfections and love me anyway. I am praying to God to bring me that person.

Do you ever feel like you are not seen? How does it make you feel?

2 comments:

  1. Me too! I feel discouraged because I feel like no one seems to notice my skills and qualifications as I go on the job hunt of my life. I feel like a kid saying, "Watch! See me?" Thank you for the reminder that God not only sees me but understands just what it is that I'm feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I know that song! I know it by heart!

    There's a gospel song with these words to God: "When I need a brand new song to sing,
    show me how to let Your praises ring!"

    I'm praying that you get a new song to sing, my friend.

    ReplyDelete